Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Week 7 - Ash Wednesday



"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love;
 according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin... 
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."
Psalm 51:1, 2 & 7b NIV


                                                                 Hoar frost on Sunday morning - Feb 10, 2013

"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord.
Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, 
though they are red as crimson they shall be like wool."
Isaiah 1:18 NIV


                                                                                                                                             Neighbour's birch tree - Feb 10, 2013

"Create in me a clean heart, O God:
and renew a right spirit within me."
Psalm 51:10 KJV


                                                                                                      The frost was gone, but still lots of beauty - Feb 10, 2013

"Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, 
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." 
Romans 4:7 & 8 NIV


                                                                                                                                 Early morning country view - Feb 10, 2013

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22 & 23 NIV 


Ash Wednesday was not something that was focused on historically in my church tradition, but the last few years we have had an Ash Wednesday service.  It has become very special to me.  It is a time to reflect on our sinfulness and our mortality, and makes us realize why we need a Saviour.  It helps set the stage for the Easter season when we remember the sacrifice of God's son and celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last Sunday morning I woke up and when I drew back the curtains and looked outside, a winter wonderland greeted me.  Everything was covered in a thick frost.  The timing for taking photos is tricky in this situation - I wanted to wait for a blue sky, but then the frost disappears quickly.  Some of the above photos were taken when it was still overcast and foggy in the distance, and some when the sun started to shine.  The frost reminds me of how I look in God's eyes - I'm "covered" with Christ's purity!

No comments:

Post a Comment