Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Week 44

Trip to Montreal

     My husband had some business in Montreal earlier this week, so instead of flying to Montreal, as he normally would, he drove so I could tag along.  Our youngest son is attending McGill University in Montreal, so it gave us a chance to take along a few more items for him that we didn't have room for in our vehicle when we took him down the end of August.  
     I really enjoyed touring about on foot with my camera around the area of our hotel in downtown Montreal.  I also took a sightseeing tour one afternoon.  I was the only one on the double decker bus for most of the tour!  I was even in the open air on the top level and the tour guide and driver thought I was very tough to brave the cold winds up there, although I did have gloves and a headband on.  The season for tours ends tomorrow, so I was on one of the last ones until next spring.  
       Montreal is a beautiful, clean, city that is full of unique culture.  The buildings are a blend of old world charm, modern skyscrapers and all types of architecture in between.  I didn't get photos in "old" Montreal so that will be on my agenda for the next time I visit.
     Mont Royal (Mount Royal) makes for a beautiful look-out over the city and helped me orient myself when I was walking around the downtown.  If I looked down a street and saw the mountain, then I knew which direction I should head.
     The highlight of the trip was spending some time with my son and seeing him happy and doing well in his environment in one of Canada's largest cities.


"You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden."
Matthew 5:14 NIV




Sun Life Building - once the tallest building in the British Commonwealth - built in 3 stages between 1913 - 1931 


                                                                 Boer War Memorial in Dorchester Square                                                 Oct 28, 2013


 Dorchester Square and SunLife building  - Oct 28th and still no hard frost yet 


                         Mary Queen of the World Cathedral with our hotel, The Queen Elizabeth, in behind            Oct 28, 2013


                                                      One of the statues on a monument outside of the cathedral                              Oct 28, 2013


                       The domes at the back end of the cathedral                Oct 28, 2013


St. George's Anglican Church with new buildings in the background


Sadly, homelessness is an issue in most cities - this was one of the doorsteps of St. George's Anglican Church


                                    One of my favourite skyscrapers                     Oct 28, 2013



                                                             Museum of Fine Arts on Sherbrooke Street                                           Oct 28, 2013

                                         Buildings made from red stone imported from Ireland                      Oct 28, 2013


                                                          St. Joseph's Oratory of Mt. Royal - largest church in Canada                       Oct 28, 2013                   


                                                                                      Early morning photo                                                           Oct 29, 2013


McGill College Ave with McGill University and Mont Royal at the far end


                                        Illuminated Crowd Sculpture done in 1985 on McGill College Ave                         Oct 29, 2013


                                                       Main entrance to McGill University - cars on Sherbrooke St                           Oct 28, 2013


                The Arts Building at McGill University  - Mont Royal lit up by the early morning sun          Oct 29, 2013


The sidewalk in front of McGill University along Sherbrooke St.  Oct 29, 2013


                                  Corner of Peel and Sainte-Catherine on my way to meet my son for breakfast             Oct 29, 2013


                                                                    The best sight of all in Montreal - my son!                                             Oct 29, 2013










No comments:

Post a Comment